Historical Walk - Shau Kei Wan

14 May 2016 20:00 | Anonymous member (Administrator)

Article by Verena Mooser

Buddhas’s birthday was the perfect day to visit this traditional area in the north-western corner of Hong Kong Island. As soon as we left the MTR station we could see that this was no ordinary day: Colourful flags, drums and cymbals, people dressed up in traditional costumes were a delight for eyes and ears.

But before we looked at the traditional celebrations, under the guidance of Mr Wordie we explored a hidden anti-aircraft battery site, a short hike uphill from the bustling commercial area. There we learned about Hong Kong’s role during the Second World War and the fate of the Salesian Mission and the soldiers stationed in the area when the Japanese invaded. We also walked past one of the old quarries, where much of the granite used in buildings here and abroad was cut out of the mountains.

Back in the old town area, we spent quite a bit of time admiring the dragons and lions dancing through the streets, and listening to the rhythms of the musical bands that mark their steps. In spite of the loud music, we learned about the relationship between the lion and dragon dancers with the local triads, which also control the wholesale fish market situated in the area, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

The walk ended in front of the Coastal Defence Museum, housed in what used to be Lei Yue Mun Fort, built over 100 years ago. On our way there, we passed Basel street, named after the Basel Mission (now Tsung Tsin Mission of Hong Kong), which established their first church in this area in 1862.


Please click here for the pictures


(c) Swiss Association of Hong Kong

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software